Friday, May 14, 2010

Breaking the Mold: I DON'T typecast actors

It's been a long held tradition, especially in the film studios, to type-cast an actor into certain roles. People can debate when this started.  Was it during the Golden Age of cinema or before.  All I know is that it is a long standing tradition to fit an actor in a role like the last one they played.  I don't like that and I rebel against that notion.

Many actors that I have talked with about playing a part in THE HOUSE have mentioned, "have you seen my actor reel".  My answer, "yes, but I still want to have you audition anyways.".  Why?  Wouldn't that be a waste of time?  I was taught that you should have actors audition for many parts.  This film system dictates not to take risks and allow people the ability as performers to break out of a type-cast and be something original.  Think about it:  how many A-list actors have you seen play basically the same type of roles over and over again?  Some of my favorite actors, like Mel Gibson, play similiar roles.  I can basically sum up most of his role as emotionally driven character.  Either they're slightly psychotic or suicidal like Lethal Weapon, Mad Max (where's his angry about the death of his wife) or have some thing they're dealing with at a deep emotional core like in The Patriot, Signs, Braveheart.  His situation is not unique when it comes to the issue of type-casting. 

Sometimes I think it goes beyond what the person has done previously, I also think that Hollywood cheats when it comes to casting someone because they base a lot on the person's personality.  Or another one is a person's public image.  Many actors struggle to break out of the mold of a type cast for years.  Tom Hanks is a great example of this.  He was almost known as a funny guy.  Then he did Forest Gump and showed he could be both funny and serious. 

The use of type casting many times goes down to agent.  Many agents find it much easier to just put their talent in a nice, well marketed, package.  (I would dare to say 'box')  It makes it easy for marketing purposes.  This person is "action hero" type actor, this is a "blonde bombshell", this is the "sidekick", etc.  MGM did this a lot too.  Mayer did a great job of creating an essembly line.  Once he placed you (a cog like in a clock  in the description used by a character in The Incredibles) in your spot don't expect anything to change. 

Film is art.  Like a painting a filmmaker should be able to figure out what brush or color or whatever they want to make their masterpiece.  The filmmaker should be able to evaulate an actor as a whole performer.  I should be able to have you audition for many roles.  Could it be possible that you have more to bring as a performer than the type of roles you've played in the past.

My two favorite actors are Bob Hoskins and Terry O'Quinn.  Why?  Because they play a diverse amount of roles.  Most people didn't know who Terry O'Quinn was until LOST (he plays John Locke).  Bob Hoskins plays characters so well that I almost don't notice him until I read the credits. -He's that good.   I'd love to work with either one of these actors.

My point: if you see an actor you like in THE HOUSE that is totally different than you have seen them before, you should applaud!  I have given them the respect of showing how great a performer they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment